In the 1980's, short haul passenger services were revamped with rebuilt locomotives and cars. The cars were rebuilt from surplus electric suburban stock and the locomotives rebuilt from 1950's early series diesels.
Thirteen cars were built that featured Second Class accommodation with a small van compartment for the guard/conductor. The cars were coded BCH, the H a reference to 'Harris' train heritage.
The BCH cars are numbered 121 to 133. Cars 121 - 131 were converted from 'Second series' Harris _M__ motor cars. Cars 132, 133 were converted from two 'Second series' 75' _T__ trailer cars.
The cars entered service between 1983 and 1985.