To overcome a passenger car shortage, a group of small steel passenger cars were purchased from South Australia in the early 1980's. They were transferred to Victoria and were stored at Spotswood Workshops prior to service.
Car 500 built about 1937. In Australian National Railway service it ran as AK 1. It entered service in Victoria as AK 1 in October 1983. It ran mainly on the Geelong line. Other interurban runs were to Bacchus Marsh.
In about 1992, the car was not required and was transferred back to South Australia.
At 1994, the car as '500' again was available for charter service.
Vehicle history list
Photos for 'AK '
FileID Description................................................AL497 AK 1, [oGRE]BQ458 AK 1 - e1 side door/steps, Flinders Street Yard, 18/10/1984, [oPJV]BQ457 AK 1 - lettering/ID, Flinders Street Yard, 18/10/1984, [oPJV]BQ456 AK 1 - s2e1, Flinders Street Yard, 18/10/1984, [oPJV]
No diagrams found for AK
File c379m compiled by Peter J. Vincent, updated 26/10/2007