The N locos were built between 1925 and 1951 at the railway workshops. These were N 400 - N 432.
N 450 - 499 were built in Scotland 1949 to 1951 and transported out by ship as deck cargo.
They were built as coal burners, with conversion from the 1950's to oil burners.
They were out of service by the late 1960's. The only preserved unit is in the Railway Museum at Newport.
File c334m compiled by Peter J. Vincent, updated 14/10/2007